Mini-Book of the Week for Kids
Welcome to Mini-Book of the Week—a great way to put a new book in the hands of every student, every week of the school year! Inside are reproducible patterns to make 40 fiction and nonfiction mini-books that commemorate holidays and special occasions, celebrate seasonal changes, and explore favorite themes, all while providing valuable reading practice and reinforcing key concepts.
Many of the books feature fun formats— such as flip books, shape books, pop-up books, interactive write-and-read books, and more—that motivate children to read them again and again. Young readers will be eager to bring home these books to share with family members, helping to build students’ reading confidence and skills.
Looking for a fun way to mark the arrival of fall? Try the mini-book “Leaf Walk,” which invites children to notice the different shapes of leaves. Need to find an engaging reading and math activity to incorporate into your 100th Day of School celebration? Turn to the mini-book “How Do You Count to 100?” which gives children practice counting 100 critters.
Want to wrap up the school year on a positive note? Invite children to write and illustrate their own “Class Memory Book” to show their special memories of the year. From the first day of school to the last, these mini-books provide lots of engaging reading practice. You’ll find no end to the uses of these little books.
Here are some suggestions. Use the books
- to introduce or reinforce a specific reading skill.
- to teach guided reading lessons.
- to compare fiction and nonfiction.
- to launch a theme unit.
- to reinforce science, social studies, and math content.
- to give children practice reading in a learning center or in a listening center with a recording of the text.
- to provide a model for children’s creative writing and bookmaking projects.
- to build personal mini-book libraries for every student.
And most importantly, use the books to inspire a love of reading and reinforce the idea that reading is fun—something to be enjoyed every day, every week, and every season of the year!
Size: 3 mb