Classic Madeira Cake
- 150 g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange or lemon rind
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a 23x13x7cm loaf tin with melted butter or oil. Line base and sides with baking paper. Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add the eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add rind, beat until combined.
2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in ground almonds and sifted flour. Stir until combined and smooth.
3. Spoon into prepared tin; smooth surface. Вакe for 55 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake.
4.Leave cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack. Dust top with icing sugar before serving. Classic Madeira Cake is perfect for tea and as a basis for Birthday or Wedding Cakes decorations.
Storage time – Cake will keep up to four days in an airtight container.
Download Printable Classic Madeira Cake Recipe (PDF)