Classic Jam Swiss Roll Recipe
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar, extra
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot 210°C. Brush a 30 x 25 x 2 cm. Swiss roll tin with melted butter or oil, line base with baking paper, extending up two sides. Sift flours three times onto greaseproof paper. Using electric beaters, beat eggs in a large mixing bowl for 5 minutes, until thick, frothy and pale.
2. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly until completely dissolved and mixture is pale and glossy. Using a metal spoon, fold in flour quickly and lightly.
3.Spread mixture evenly into prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly golden and spongy to the touch. Turn cake onto a dry, clean tea-towel covered with greaseproof paper that has been sprinkled with the extra caster sugar; set aside for 1 minute. Use the tea-towel as a guide and carefully roll cake up from short side, with the paper. Leave cake for 5 minutes or until cool.
4. Unroll the cake and discard the paper. Spread with jam and cream and re-roll. Trim ends with a knife and serve sliced.
Download Printable Classic Jam Swiss Roll Recipe (PDF)