Classic Cinnamon Teacake Recipe
Makes one 20 cm cake
- 60 g butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 20 g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a 20 cm round shallow cake tin with melted butter or oil; line base with baking paper.
Using electric beaters, beat the butter and sugar in a small bowl until light and creamy. Add egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Add the essence and beat until combined.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted flours alternately with milk. Stir until smooth. Spoon into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Stand cake in tin 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
3. While cake is still warm, brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon.
Download Printable Classic Cinnamon Teacake Recipe (PDF)