Citrus Yogurt Cake Recipe by Maria Bruscino Sanchez
This light and zesty cake is ideal for summer picnics and parties. This is my favorite version, using a combination of lemons and limes. You can use either one or the other, or try using oranges.
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- grated rind of 2 limes
- juice of 2 lemon
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 2 limes
- confectioners sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°С.
2.Grease and flour or line two 8 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter. Add sugar gradually and beat until light in color.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one. Add lemon and lime rind and lemon juice. Add yogurt and blend well.
5. On low speed, add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until blended Pour batter into prepared pans. Spread batter evenly in pans.
6. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a fine crumb.
7. Remove from the oven. Pour lime juice over the hot cakes. Cool cakes in pans for 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove cakes from the pans and continue to cool on wire cooling racks. Cool completely. Remove and discard parchment.
8. Dust with confectioners’ sugar or Confectioners’ Glaze (page 54) and serve.
Download Printable Citrus Yogurt Cake Recipe (PDF)